Welcome to the "Computer Illiterate People Who Think They Know Things and General Chat"-thread, now coming to you in a completely new iteration thanks to thread capacity limitations. This thread will be running in a fully redundant RAID configuration and therefore needs no backups!
Feel free to share stories about people (or yourself) who thought they were very knowledgeable about tech things, but it turned out they were not.

Discord:
[url href="https://discordapp.com/invite/GqQ4NEx"]Disco-via-cord[/url]

So have at it lads.

Oh man I haven't seen your avatar in [i]years[/i]

Really? It's been here most of the time, except at the end of Newpunch where I was testing the new features.

This OP seems rather lacking. What RAID profile are we using exactly?

[quote mentionsUser="1967" postId="435049" threadPage="1" threadId="13828" username="helifreak"]This OP seems rather lacking. What RAID profile are we using exactly?[/quote]
RAID00 of course. Best performance with none of the downsides.

I've learned two lessons this month, [b]one[/b], don't buy razer products, [b]two[/b], if you do, don't do it through razer's own website. I've never experienced support this bad.

I finally bought a new monitor. The old ones are from 2007 and 2011 respectively. We 1440p @ 144hz now bby!
So far it has been a pretty sweet upgrade. I do have one question though: Is Display port supposed to be this weird?

At first I got no video output AT ALL during POST/BOOT if the new monitor was plugged in. Turns out I needed to install a Display port firmware upgrade for my GTX 1070 which seemed to fix it.
I still have one main issue though. If I turn off the new display (which is connected with Display port), my computer detects it and rearranges all my windows and icons. Is there a way to make it not do that?
If I turn off my old display, it is still detected as present which is nice since I don't like automatic power saving. Instead, I turn off my displays manually when I leave my computer.
winner

you can set the power button on your case to turn off your screens at the same time, that should avoid the problem

-Snip, didn't even notice i posted in the wrong thread, sorry-
artistic

[quote mentionsUser="2980" postId="435595" threadPage="1" threadId="13828" username="lekkimsm"]Did a revision, NOT using the right engraved bits yet, they're from the old panel project and also too big, but it's to give a general idea of what'll look like in the end. Also cut the clear cover this time.

[video]https://i.imgur.com/THQjw3u.mp4[/video][/quote]

Really cool project, so how are you making the labels?

[quote mentionsUser="1903" postId="435200" threadPage="1" threadId="13828" username="drblah"]I finally bought a new monitor. The old ones are from 2007 and 2011 respectively. We 1440p @ 144hz now bby!
So far it has been a pretty sweet upgrade. I do have one question though: Is Display port supposed to be this weird?

At first I got no video output AT ALL during POST/BOOT if the new monitor was plugged in. Turns out I needed to install a Display port firmware upgrade for my GTX 1070 which seemed to fix it.
I still have one main issue though. If I turn off the new display (which is connected with Display port), my computer detects it and rearranges all my windows and icons. Is there a way to make it not do that?
If I turn off my old display, it is still detected as present which is nice since I don't like automatic power saving. Instead, I turn off my displays manually when I leave my computer.[/quote]

1) Never heard of a DisplayPort firmware upgrade on a GPU. DP always worked immediately.

2) how are you turning them off? Like a switch or just a button. The monitor might have a "Soft Off" mode where the monitor's circuit is still on for like <1Watt but won't disconnect it.
agree

[quote mentionsUser="1961" postId="436094" threadPage="1" threadId="13828" username="SEKCobra"]Really cool project, so how are you making the labels?[/quote]

I sandblast a clear sheet of acrylic, for both paint prep and light diffusion, paint one side, and have a lasercutter just barely engrave it's way through the thin layer of paint. LEDs from behind does the rest.

But since i thought had posted this in 'Creative Work that Doesn't Deserve a Thread', had to snip and repost it just now.

[quote mentionsUser="3150" postId="436120" threadPage="1" threadId="13828" username="Crest"]1) Never heard of a DisplayPort firmware upgrade on a GPU. DP always worked immediately.

2) how are you turning them off? Like a switch or just a button. The monitor might have a "Soft Off" mode where the monitor's circuit is still on for like <1Watt but won't disconnect it.[/quote]

"Never heard of DisplayPort firmware upgrade" was my exact reaction as well. (You can find it here: [url]https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/[/url] )

My display only have a soft off button. As soon as I click it, my computer reacts as if the display is physically disconnected and rearranges all my windows to the secondary screen. I have confirmed this behavior on both Linux and Windows. I seem to remember LLT Linus complain about it some time ago as well.

[quote mentionsUser="2980" postId="436205" threadPage="1" threadId="13828" username="lekkimsm"]I sandblast a clear sheet of acrylic, for both paint prep and light diffusion, paint one side, and have a lasercutter just barely engrave it's way through the thin layer of paint. LEDs from behind does the rest.

But since i thought had posted this in 'Creative Work that Doesn't Deserve a Thread', had to snip and repost it just now.[/quote]

I wish I had easy access to a laser cutter.
agree

[quote mentionsUser="1961" postId="436250" threadPage="1" threadId="13828" username="SEKCobra"]I wish I had easy access to a laser cutter.[/quote]

I won't lie. I've been god damn blessed to have [i]free[/i] access to not only one, but three lasercutters. I had never even heard of a MakerSpace, before i randomly saw it in the ad-section of a newspaper of all things, while waiting for laundry.

Great endeavor, our workshop has got assortment of 3d printers, vinyl printers and cutters, embroidery machines, t-shirt stamping things, industrial sized printers for huge posters, and even for printing on canvas.

Edit:

It kinda looks a bit like this: [url href="https://www.makeraustria.at/instagram/"][/url]

[quote mentionsUser="1903" postId="436208" threadPage="1" threadId="13828" username="drblah"]"Never heard of DisplayPort firmware upgrade" was my exact reaction as well. (You can find it here: [url]https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/[/url] )

My display only have a soft off button. As soon as I click it, my computer reacts as if the display is physically disconnected and rearranges all my windows to the secondary screen. I have confirmed this behavior on both Linux and Windows. I seem to remember LLT Linus complain about it some time ago as well.[/quote]

Oh then sounds like it's something specific to the newer DP displays. All mine are DP1.2

[quote mentionsUser="3150" postId="436527" threadPage="1" threadId="13828" username="Crest"]Oh then sounds like it's something specific to the newer DP displays. All mine are DP1.2[/quote]

Yeah... I tested it with a HDMI cable and it behaved the way I want. Unfortunately HDMI does not seem to support freesync on Nvidia.

In other news. I'm afraid one of my cores in my 3700X is damaged somehow. Prime 95 fails with a "Hardware Error" on two specific threads :/
It only happens on the "Small FFTs maximum power/heat/CPU stress" and I know this test worked a few months ago. I am not overclocking or use PBO (at least not for more than maybe a day). My RAM is technically overclocked to 3200MHz. Setting it to default clocks does not fix the problem. Also my temps are fine as well.

luckily I don't have any noticable stability issues and no other program I have tried shows any problems. So It might not actually mean anything in practice. Although, I should probably still RMA the CPU, but it will have to wait til after my summer vacation.

So I currently have a 4690k, a Z3 Gaming Mobo, and a 1070 GPU.

I'm looking to upgrade, and from my understanding, I'll have to rebuild the entire rig to get anything significant in terms of improvements.

What are some general suggestions or thoughts as to what I should do next? I'm fine with going AMD on the processor, I'm thinking I'll either keep my 1070, or depending on cost, upgrade to a 2070. What are some good Mobo's to have a look at that will work for a little bit of future proofing? Is a 560W power source going to be good enough or should I upgrade that as well?

what kind of money are you looking to throw at it?

I recently did nearly the same upgrade, except from an i7-3770k.

I got a new Asus x570 mobo, Ryzen 3600, 32gb RAM, and a corsair AIO for around $500 all-in. It's currently paired with my GTX 970 and runs stuff great. The GPU will probably be next on the list, but I'll wait until the 10xx cards start showing up for cheap on the used market.